Since Meebo announced it will be shutting down on July 11th, librarians who use the service have been scrambling to find an alternative to the free IM program. The listservs are abuzz with suggestions for alternatives and recommendations. Here are a few options:
- Zoho – Web-based chat and website widget.
- imo.im – This is a free web-based chat service. It seems the only chat widgets are third-party.
- AIM – This well-known IM client has a chat widget and app for every mobile platform.
- Google Talk – IM, voice chat, and file transfer. Integrates with Gmail.
- Spark – An open-source IM client. Note that the widget is only on version 0.9.
- Pidgin – Free universal chat program.
- LiveZilla – Customizable widget and client software.
- LibraryH3lp – A library-specific chat service for a flat annual fee.
Read the LISNews article Meebo Messenger, Meebo Me discontinued July 11, 2012.
Read the LibraryH3lp blog post Meebo Migrations: Alternatives for Libraries.